Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Lower Parel

View:- Lower Parel Station and surrounding area

Lower Parel is 7th down railway station from Churchgate on Western Railway Line of Mumbai Suburban Railways. It is on the west side of the Parel Station on the Central Railway. It is a central part of Mumbai. East side of the Lower Parel is called only parel and west side of it is called Lower Parel. Most of the mills in Mumbai were in existence till recent past. During the time cotton mills were operating in Parel, many thousands of mill workers used to call Parel home. After the major strike of mill workers in Mumbai, most of the mill owners shifted their business to Gujrat rendering their workers jobless. the most of these jobless workers died of starvation and suicide. The families of them were displaced. Now, Lower Parel/Parel is seen an influx of huge enterprises in the compounds of these shut down cotton mills.
Parel/Lower Parel was one of the original Seven islands that formed Mumbai. It belonged to the 13th century kingdom of Raja Bhimdev. The name has come from the Parali Vaijanath Mahadev temple, dedicated to Lord Shiva. When the Portuguese conquered Bombay, they gave the authority of this area to the Jesuit priests, who replaced the Parali Mahadev temple with a church and a convent. They remained with the Jesuits until they were confiscated by the British, when the priests sided with the Sidis during their battle with the British in 1689 and spelt the area as Parell. In the 1770s, William Hornby, the Governor, shifted his official residence to Parel. This area then became one of the most posh areas of the city. In 1867, tanners and dealers in dry fish were relocated in this area. By the 1870s, several cotton mills had been established in the reclaimed lands in Parel (West). Gradually, Paral became very polluted. In 1883, the Governor's wife died of cholera in the Government House. Two years later the Governor's Bungalow was moved to Malabar Hill. During the plague epidemics of the 1890s, the old Government House was leased to the newly founded Haffkine Institute. After the plague epidemics, mills proliferated in this area. In 1915, the Parel Bridge was built with linked the Western and Central Railway stations. It became an industrial area and in addition provided space for mill workers. With the gradual decline of the mills in Mumbai[external link] in the late twentieth century, this space is being recycled. Five star hotel ITC Hotel The Grand Central, Mumbai - The Luxury Collection is located in Parel. Noe cotton mill jobs have long disappeared and large cotton mill real estate is being recycled into ultra-expensive gated communities. Parel has thus become an area where lower middle class and rich live side by side.
Parel also has some famous hospitals like KEM ( Govt. hospital), Tata (specializes in treatment of cancer) , Wadia(for children) and MGM (ESI hospital).
Parel village also has an important monolithic staue called Baradev.
Morover,the area has been crowned with 7 Star hotel of ITC Welcomgroup ( ITC Hotel The Grand Central, Mumbai - The Luxury Collection)

Back to:-Mumbai Suburban Railways

No comments: